READY TO ROLL AT PATERSON RIVERSIDE STATION - PHOTO BY DR. THOMAS DAYSPRING

READY TO ROLL AT PATERSON RIVERSIDE STATION - PHOTO BY DR. THOMAS DAYSPRING

Saturday, June 21, 2008

OVERVIEW - 2008

Photo: West Paterson Fire Dept. web site

Welcome to the Paterson Fire Journal - an illustrated history of the fire and rescue service in Paterson, New Jersey, the state's third largest city.

According to the city's web site, the Paterson Fire Department employs 250 firefighters and operates seven engines and three ladders. The fire department also operates an ambulance service staffed by EMTs and supplemented by hospital-based paramedics.

Paterson - seat of Passaic County, with a population of 150,000 - is known as the "Silk City" for its once dominant role in textiles. The first volunteer fire company was organized in 1815. Other followed. By the 1880s, the city purchased horses and hired drivers to supplement the volunteers. In 1890, a combination department - part paid, part volunteer - took over municipal fire protection. In 1895, the city established the full-time paid force. During World War II, an auxiliary fire service was organized to assist the professional firemen.

STATION ASSIGNMENTS - 2008

FIRE HQ
 – 850 Madison Ave.
Engine 1
Ladder 1
Tour Commander
Ambulance 91

LAKEVIEW – 127 Trenton Ave.
Engine 3
Ambulance 93

NORTHSIDE – 48 Temple St.
Engine 4
Ladder 2
Battalion 3

RIVERSIDE – 236 Laffayette St.
Engine 5
Ladder 3
Battalion 2
Ambulance 95

SOUTHSIDE – 124 Getty Ave.
Engine 6
Rescue 2
Battalion 1
Ambulance 96

GRAND ST. – 97 Grand St.
Engine 7

HILLCREST – 221 Union Ave.
Engine 2
Ambulance 92


STATION ASSIGNMENTS - 1999

Madison Avenue
850 Madison Ave.
Engine 1, Ladder 1

Northside
48 Temple St.
Engine 4, Ladder 2

Riverside
236 Lafayette Ave.
Engine 5, Ladder 3

Hillcrest
221 Union Ave.
Engine 8

Southside
124 Getty Ave.
Engine 6

Lakeview
127 Trenton Ave.
Engine 3

Grand Street
97 Grand St.
Engine 7